Monday, April 03, 2006

Z is for Zoo

333 magnify
On Saturday teacher had the bright idea to go to the zoo. Daughter & class had finally learned all the letters of the alphabet, culminating in the letter “Z”. Z is for zoo. S is for “C”. Daughter may have been exposed to the full alphabet over the course of the year, but she still has points of confusion.

Teacher knows me. I’m not known for either my timeliness or my morningness and since she lives a block, a long rural North Carolina block, away she offered to come by and honk when it was time to go that morning. It’s a good thing she did. We weren’t quite ready but the honk and teacher being outside got us all moving. Plus, I got to ride with teacher and daughter in a boy-free car! I think I have a friend.

Once at the zoo daughter was ecstatic to see so many of her friends. I highly recommend the North Carolina zoo in Asheboro. We’ve been to many all over the country, and while the Memphis zoo remains my favorite, the Asheboro zoo is pretty darn good. Of course Chawlie’s favorite part was the monkeys. After I pointed out the red butts, much to his mother’s consternation, Chawlie was not to be swayed from my side. And every five minutes after my faux pas Chawlie would excitedly whisper: “the monkey’s have red butt’s!” Looooong after we passed the red-butted monkeys.

Personally I was in awe with the tropical birds in the aviary, most particularly the Scarlet Ibis which is extremely scarlet. All over. Way cool. The brown bear was also a favorite, mostly because I told him to get in the water and cool down and he did. Just call me Dr. Doolittle.

All & all it was a fantastic day. Made even more fantastic by all being together, including my big boys who didn’t even notice, not once, that they were the only big boys there. Just having 15 & 13 year-olds for a day at the zoo would’ve been good, that they had a great time made it that much sweeter.

No comments: