Friday, April 07, 2006

Yellow Season

Sometimes life is less than happy, mostly I leave that stuff out & focus on the positive. Yesterday was pretty yucky though. It’s yellow season here in North Carolina. That’s where the trees puff up their pollen like peacocks puff up their feathers. The stuff gets everywhere. Oodles & oodles of yellow dust.

Middle child loves the stuff. He loves to whack trees with sticks and watch noxious yellow clouds float by in the wind. It’s an added bonus, to him, that it makes squareboy sneeze & itch & snot & turn red. However, last night it was not funny. During yellow season he needs his cingular and zyrtec on the dot, once every 24 hours. And I forgot the cingular. And middle child loves the noxious clouds. Poor squareboy got all tight and wheezy. He really needed his inhaler. The scary part was, I was at work and I could hear him wheezing over the phone.

It all turned out okay, but poor squareboy’s chest was tight for a minute there and mine along with his… but from worry. Living with boys is not easy. Eldest had been bugging me all day to take the dog out. Which is weird, he loves the dog. Loves taking him out. Now when I take him out I water my little vegetable garden too, so eldest bugged me about watering the veggies. What does he care about me watering the veggies?

I found out when daughter came home from school. She, of course, had to water the veggies. I had to get ready for work, where I would then receive the panicked phone call from squareboy. So I’m getting ready for work and daughter comes running in, sooooo excited. Dangling a snake. A dead snake, but a snake.

“Isn’t he pretty? He’s got sparkly scales!” daughter yelped excitedly while dangling a dead snake in front of me. In the house. My daughter!

Eldest & middle child had found the snake, already dead, last night. They’d kindly placed it by my garden for me to find and scream for them to laugh. I, however, hadn’t taken the bait and daughter found it in my stead. Unfortunately, her whole life I’ve worked to make snakes interesting and not frightening. With too much success it turns out. She loves snakes. They’re her favorite animal.

No comments: