Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Bleutiful

“I’m getting old.” Daughter says last night, “Remember yesterday when my back hurt? When your back hurts that means you are getting old.”

The dad burst out laughing from the bathroom. He’s got so many aches & pains right now that his minor back pain seems trivial, and yet, that little statement says it all. We are getting old. The fact that our not-quite-five year old daughter has noticed for the first time that she is getting old, means we actually are getting old.

But honestly, except for a sore back every now & then and some other mostly minor ailments, I still feel young. I think it’s my kids that keep me young, their perspective on life, their energy and most of all their love.

Enough sappiness, daughter is also “Bluetiful”. She told me so. She’s accomplished this by moving from black special Easter markers to blue special Easter markers. We caused quite a stir in Cheapalot with her dramatically painted face.

Unfortunately it wasn’t just her. Eldest had gotten into the markers too and painted up his left eye nice & blue. He wanted to “freak out” the girlfriend. That she’d given him a black eye. I don’t really want to know how or why. Do I?

No comments: