Friday, March 31, 2006

Danny

All I wanted was a dog. Something warm & fuzzy. Something to sound the alarm on the nights the Dad isn’t home. Turns out kittens fill the bill quite nicely. Middle child has even discovered they come running at the call of “puppies!”

I was feeling very happy with my kitties, really learning the appeal of cats after all these years as a self-professed dog person. In fact, both kitties sleep with me and I’ve never felt safer when the dad is gone. Last night, however, I felt extra safe.

Last night the dad came back and brought a buddy with him. A big, huge, retired policedog. “He needed rescuing” the dad explained. This being the same dad who groaned & moaned & looked mean as my kitties were dropped off mere weeks ago. The dad was just beaming. The cat was steaming.

Urgh, sorry, just read Green Eggs & Ham and I can’t stop rhyming. Poor Dinghy was less than thrilled at her new companion, let alone that the new companion is now ensconced in my bedroom. Her previous roost. I’ve never seen a short-haired cat fluff up as much as Dinghy when she first laid eyes on Danny. Think cartoon cat gone wild and maybe, just maybe, you can picture the full fluffiness of my poor kitty.

Eldest took Danny on a reconnaissance mission around the yard while I rescued kitty and brought her to the other end of the house. Thank God for tons of intervening doors because I think it will be weeks, if ever, before she accepts him. Not that I blame her, he is huge. He even scared me late last night. We are finally tucked in, I’m drifting away and I feel a shift in the bed. I assume it’s the dad and turn over for a kiss… and had to stifle a scream when I saw Danny’s big moose head grinning at me.

Here I thought a retired policedog would be well-trained.

No comments: