Friday, March 10, 2006

Doctors, Dentists & ER's

Do you know that when you lose weight your underwear is baggy and gets, um, out of place easily? Well. That only took me three months to figure out. I’m not only in a smaller pant size, I’m also in a smaller panty size. Now back to the semi-regular, about-my-kids, blogging.

It’s been a week. Pretending that a week starts on Saturday, let’s start with the first day of the week. In case you didn’t know, Squareboy bounces off of walls. Literally. He manages this by getting a running start, bouncing onto the couch, scrambling up the back, onto the wall (think Alley-Oop in skateboarding terms) and back down. On Saturday he missed his landing, skidded across the carpeting and smack into the solid brick fireplace. At first I ignored his wailing, then it got annoying and I strolled over to look. All I saw, from my great height, was a slightly bloody toe. I warned him not to drip on the carpet and strolled away again.

He kept wailing, the dad strolled over and promptly hollered for me. Turns out Squareboy had torn up half his toenail, it was poking just about straight up. OW! We debated the emergency room, and decided to wait. Sunday, at work, the kid’s doctor stopped by. He’d missed us. I got in a quick consult and learned that I just needed to watch the toe for infection. I love living in a small town.

That night, while at the emergency room with Daughter, Squareboy pulled off his own dangling toenail with the dad’s pliers. I think the doctor cursed us by saying he missed us. Squareboy had disclocated Daughter’s elbow while rescuing her from the collapsed “fort” of couch cushions & beanbags. Daughter cried and played it up beautifully at the emergency room and we got in before the tons of other people in the waiting room, much to their dismay when she walked out happily chatting 30 minutes later. Days later she’s still talking about the wonderful doctor who saved her. He’s her new hero.

Tuesday night Daughter ran a fever and her cheek was swollen. I figured mumps or an abscessed tooth, but she wouldn’t let me check. The dad finally rolled her up like a burrito while eldest shown a flashlight in her mouth and giggled like a hyena. We saw what looked like a tooth growing out of the bottom of her jaw. Wednesday at the dentist it turned out to be an ulcer. Easier treated than a funky tooth anyway, but still painful. Wednesday also was the doctor’s turn to see us, I whined at him that he jinxed me as I recited our list of ailments. Poor eldests reflux is out of control and we are on double meds from just a month ago.

Thursday every single kid woke up with a fever and the sniffles. Every. Single. One.

No comments: