Friday, February 01, 2008

Being-Who-Knows-All

Car rides with my bunch are fantabuluous. Morning car rides not so much. Today, however, was a wonderful exception. Both Squareboy and Daughter were in excellent moods and Trout, while, unfortunately, stinky, was happily babbling in his seat. With good moods come questions.

"If it rains hard enough can it cut your skin?" From Daughter, because it's lightly sprinkling out and she worries like that.
"No. Skin is very tough and water doesn't have any sharp edges." From me.
"Actually," Squareboy chipped in, "when water freezes it can have sharp edges." Daughter nodded sagely in the backseat, this she had known all along.
"Skin is a wonderful thing." I tried, attempting to save my status as Being-Who-Knows-All (I'm fast losing this status with Squareboy). "Even when skin breaks it can heal itself. Skin is self-healing." This impressed both of them.
"Skin is like armor." Squareboy stated.
"And it holds in our bones." Daughter added. "It holds in our bones and our meat."

The thought of our skin being like sausage casing quieted both Squareboy and I. Having meat, being meat, is not so much of a pleasant thought. And our morning conversation drifted off to Chawlie. Today is Chawlie's last day. I am so sad. Chawlie, and family, is not a close friend but every school day, every church day, every local event day, night, for the last three years has been shared with Chawlie. Every morning before school Chawlie is thought of and mentioned for Chawlie is allergic to peanut butter. And while Squareboy can have peanut butter, being a big fourth grader and not eating lunch with the little first graders, Daughter can't. I make Daughter's lunch first on peanut butter & jelly days, she gets just jelly, then Squareboys, with peanut butter, so there is no cross contamination from the peanut butter jar to the jelly jar. And every morning Daughter reminds me;

"Chawlie is allergic to peanut butter!" As if I'm not the Being-Who-Knows-All.

I'm going to miss Chawlie.

No comments: